A chin reduction is performed in case that the chin protrudes atypically. During the surgery a part of the chin bone is grinded off so that the chin fits well with the remaining face parts.
The enlargement of a chin is performed if the chin recedes. From the incision on the inner side of the lips, a part of the chin bone is exposed to which a synthetic material is attached, which is modelled into the shape of the part to be enlarged. The synthetic material “Medpor” allows the bone to grow through from the surrounding area and thus becomes a part of the whole bone. The scars are not visible on the skin, as the surgery is performed from the inside of the lips. After the surgery, the area of the chin is covered with a fixation patch, which the patient removes himself/herself after 3-4 days.
- Anaesthesia: General Anaesthesie
- Hospitalization: 1-2 nights
- The swelling in the chin area decreases after 10-14 days
- Stitches: dissolvable stitches at the inner lip side
- After the surgery: Pureed food recommended for 5 days (after eating the mouth should be rinsed with camomile solution or water)
- Fit for work: office work possible after 4 days / full physical work load possible after 3 weeks